Well- this week finds me in EDU651 Collaboration and Learning In a Virtual Environment. I have learned several important things this week so far, the first of which is no matter how much you love your family and want to help- you should say no to some things when they interfere with school. Educationally, I have learned that I have gone several years without creating a Twitter account, but I lost the battle with this class. Education must push on and keep up with technology, despite our personal feelings. I have also learned that Wiki's are for more than learning about your favorite star or movie, they can be educational as well. Wiki's have become a force to be reckoned with and a powerful tool in a school's arsenal. No longer are they not to be trusted as a credible source, they are "becoming a trusted and cited source by many major news outlets (the New York Times among them) and scholars" (Richardson, 2010 p. 58). Wiki's are helping students across the world become better collaborators, writers and editors of their own work and others. They are teaching valuable negotiation skills that can later be used in the workplace, and more importantly they are bringing literacy back to the forefront where it belongs.
I have also learned that RSS feeds can be using for more than just streaming music!While I am of course joking, there is a wide world out there that can be linked up through an RSS feed, and they too are a powerful classroom tool.
References:
Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press
Now for the fun- where in the world am I? This is another local hot spot, often visited by approximately 2 million people annually. It is a real "wild" time...
No comments:
Post a Comment